Re: Wow.. it almost works

On 12 Nov 1998, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

> This is great news.
>
> I think that for 0.3, I should at least set up the stubs for a libapt-pkg
> and libapt-pkg-dev package in debian/rules, and only actually use them
> when the package gets moved out of experimental.

I fear that even in stable we will have version problems - it is the same
issue every libray faces.. If fixing a bug means adding a new variable to
a structure then you have to bump the soname because they are no longer
binary compatible.

Libraries probably should uniformly adopt a version model like:

libfoo.so.a.b.c.d

+1 to if:
a -> Source+binary incompatible change
b -> binary incompatible change, source backwards compatible
c -> source+binary backwards compatible change,
d -> source+binary interfaces unchanged but code did

a is a huge big change, b is like a bug fix requiring a signature or
structure modification, c is a new function and d is just code updates
[ruffly]

I expect b to go up very fast for libapt-pkg.