Re: ftp method

On 8 May 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	I just tested dslect update with ftp.debian.org in my
>  sourcelist, and things went fine. I am downloading for dselct
>  install, so I think this baby works.

Cool, can you give scott a list of dependencies? I still can't make it go
with what I have installed now.

Wakko{jgg}~/work/deity/methods/ftp#./ftp
ftp://llug.sep.bnl.gov/debian/README t
Uncaught exception from user code:
        Uncaught exception from user code:
        Can't locate URI/URL.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/5.004 /usr/lib/perl5
/usr/local/lib/site_perl/i386-linux /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at ./ftp
line 25.
        main::BEGIN() called at URI/URL.pm line 25
        eval {...} called at URI/URL.pm line 25
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./ftp line 25.

Does it need libnet and stuff?

Scott: These should be Recomends
Manoj: I wish it would error out nicer, a single 'E' line would be ideal
if it's bits are missing.

I do not want to make ftp part of the core if it has any perl
dependencies, it makes it much harder for people to install on strange
systems.

> 	I have checked in the ftp method (Scott: one can get a man
>  page by running pod2man methods/ftp/ftp > ftp.1 or HTML using
>  pod2html  or what have you).

Should http get a man page?

> 	I vaguely remember Culus asking for another perl related task,
>  but i forget what it was.

Hm, the log file stuff, but we don't even have log files yet..

Scott, can you put out a .9 ?