Re: New APT version

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Joey Hess wrote:

> This makes me wonder if we should think about dropping autoup as the
> preferred way to upgrade to hamm, and switch to apt. On the one hand, autoup
> has been tested pretty thouroghly and we shouldn't risk postponing debian
> 2.0 to work out bugs in apt. On the other hand, I've never seen autoup
> as anything but a hack. Apt also lets people accomplish the entire bo ->
> hamm upgrade from inside dselect, which is much cleaner.

	I agree. My autoup upgrade (a month ago) was pretty messy. Not
that it was the fault of the script itself (I was quite pleased with it),
but it was because of dselect. I had to go through Install/Config cycles a
few times to get everything through, but I also had to hand-install
sysvinit and kbd because they depended on eachother (a fact which dselect
could not deal with). So, in summary, I would suggest using APT in 2.0 (if
all that people have been saying about it is true) if you want the upgrade
to be as painless as possible.

Corey Miller

---
Corey Miller          "This looks like a job for ..... legal tender!"
MSTie #71940                           -The Tick
mille542@egr.msu.edu
http://www.egr.msu.edu/~mille542/