Re: New APT version

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Joey Hess wrote:

> Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > This version of apt is probably the most effective way to upgrade from
> > bo/rex. It has been tested in several bo upgrades and has undergone
> > simulated upgrades for 18 different configurations, including a few rex
> > systems.
>
> This makes me wonder if we should think about dropping autoup as the
> preferred way to upgrade to hamm, and switch to apt. On the one hand, autoup
> has been tested pretty thouroghly and we shouldn't risk postponing debian
> 2.0 to work out bugs in apt. On the other hand, I've never seen autoup
> as anything but a hack. Apt also lets people accomplish the entire bo ->
> hamm upgrade from inside dselect, which is much cleaner.

I disagree. different versions of autoup have been tested in various
degrees of thoroughness. There are IMHO two problems with the script:
- every time the essential packages and their dependencies change (and
  this has been happening a lot since the freeze) the autoup script has to
  be adapted. Apt has a more generic way of dealing with dependencies.
- the script is just a script and although it works, it is basically a
  bunch of hacks. Apt integrates with the default debian packaging system,
  all that is needed to make it work is to set it as the access method for
  dselect.

The matter should be brought up on debian-testing.

Cheers,

Joost