Re: Auto install code

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, Behan Webster wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> >
> > > Personally, I would have it such that the user never sees the libc6
> > > package in the selection list except as a dependency of something else.
> >
> > I can arrange for auto packages to be hidden unless a list menu option is
> > selected if you like?
>
> Sorry.  I wasn't clear.  I meant that I would hope that people had their
> keywords set such that (most) dependent packages (like libraries) weren't
> in the selection list.  If the user has the keyword "library" on for the
> selection list, then libc6 should be shown.  But personally, I would never
> do that.  Is that clearer?

Speaking of keywords, I still haven't been able to get an OK on this
proposal, it looks like we will not have this information avail by the
time we release.. What should we do?

> I understand now.  That makes sense.  But tell me, if these other packages
> were downgraded, would libc6 be uninstalled?  Perhaps we should have a
> mechanism for people to see why a package was installed, or upgraded?  I
> suspect that this won't be too difficult, as this info should already be
> available for the auto-remove mechanism.

Yes, that is the 'auto' mechanism we talked about. As for seeing how/why,
how should that be presented to the user?

Thanks,