Re: gnome-apt status wrt UI document

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> > >  Sounds like an apt-pkg issue.
> >
> > What is an obsolete source?
> >

> I think I meant obsolete package. :-) See UI design, section 5.1.

We can do this when the Release file is integrated into the cache.

> > You can show all available versions (VerIterator from a package) but you
> > can't select which version to install. Doing so is pretty easy I can add
> > it.
> >

> I'm already confused with only the two versions, so this is going to
> complicate things. How will this be shown in the tree view? Which version
> is selected if you click the upgrade check box?

The only new functionality that is needed is a way to select which version
to make the Candidate version. Right now the highest version is always
selected but this can change easially.

> Any suggestions for good names? I couldn't think of anything good, ergo
> the names are bad. :-)

If you are calling pkgDistUpgrade then yes leave it alone, but make a new
menu item called 'Fix Broken Packages' that calls the problem resolver
directly.

> BTW, is it safe to call pkgAllUpgrade and pkgDistUpgrade if the user has
> broken stuff? Or do I need to check for broken packages first and offer to
> pkgFixBroken?

Umm.. Definate maybe there. Try it and see what happens. They all check
for failures and will bail if they can't do it.

> Auto just displays the Auto flag's state, and I guess lets you toggle it.
> Source is the source the package came from I guess. I think we discussed
> it earlier and you said it wasn't very feasible.

Did I? I think this bit should show the Debian Version, aka the Release
information that APT now downloads.

> OK, this is what I was worried about - changes being made all over the
> tree that the user wouldn't be able to find again. The Auto flag helps
> here of course.

MarkInstall actually supports the autoflag, it is the problem resolver
that doesn't set it. Begs the question if it should, I'll have to look at
that.

> Earlier when I asked about ProblemResolver I was wondering whether to run
> it when toggling Install/Upgrade on a package. So in light of this I guess
> I should not. Should I ever run it? What is the difference between it and
> pkgFixBroken?

It gets interesting. Dselects default behavior was to upgrade everything
it possibly could, which means it implicitly has the effect of calling
AllUpgrade after every operation, this is kinda slow though. I don't know,
I would tend to make them buttons and never call them automatically.

http://www.debian.org/~jgg/Mirrors

> > There have been some minor tweaks in the newest cvs, you will need to make
> > a media change dialog and look at apt-get's installer code for some other
> > issues.
>
> I'm all over the media change dialog, did it Friday I think. I didn't see
> the apt-get changes though so I will cvs diff. (the dangers of
> cut-and-paste begin to emerge...)

There is a small little test to bail if the user is trying to do multi-cd
swap installs.