Re: gnome-apt status wrt UI document

Previously Havoc Pennington wrote:
> I'm already confused with only the two versions, so this is going to
> complicate things. How will this be shown in the tree view? Which version
> is selected if you click the upgrade check box?

I think that should depend on the option mentioned in 5.3:

   It can happen that multiple versions of the same package are available for
   selection (for example of both the stable and unstable tree from Debian
   are listed as sources). Apt can switch between three behaviours when
   encountering this: it can either always select the newest version, it
   can use a preferred source or prompt the user. The preferred source
   is the first defined source from the list of sources that contains this
   package.

So we only need to define how prompt works. I think it would be nice if
you show a small popup with the list of available versions when
upgrade/install is selected.

> I tend to agree that this is not really a good feature to have. I think
> the UI design should be changed on this.

I though I already did that, apparently I forgot, so I just did that.

> Any suggestions for good names? I couldn't think of anything good, ergo
> the names are bad. :-)

`Process update' and `Smart process update'?

> Auto just displays the Auto flag's state, and I guess lets you toggle it.

Yup.

> Source is the source the package came from I guess. I think we discussed
> it earlier and you said it wasn't very feasible.

The Release-file makes this feasible I think.

Jason Gunthorpe said:
> The very original scheme was to have apt never prompt. It is annoying.
> Very annoying. I can't recall if the UI spec said this, but showing
> counters in a status line for the number of packages to
> install/remove/upgrade as well as marking broken packages in red is a really
> good way to handle this.

The spec doesn't have a statusbar actually. I think most of this is
said implicitly. Basically we don't prompt, and optionally show a dialog
before doing the final run which mentions extra changes that are made.
We might want to do that for the `process update' option as well.

If haven't used colors since I wanted to be able to run on b&w
consoles as well, but if colors are avaible this sounds like a
good addition.

> Your preview can be seen by expanding the dep list for the package and
> looking at broken deps (highlight these in red), when you hit I all the
> red lines become black lines and the state of those packges change.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl