Re: Quirk in debian/rules

    Jason> Nonon, when you run ldd on the compiled apt it will see
    Jason> that apt is linked against libstdc++2.9 and libpkg. It will
    Jason> then look at libpkg and see it is linked with libstc++2.8!
    Jason> So you end up with ldd outputing two lines for each
    Jason> libstdc++ and then you will have it depened on both
    Jason> libstdc++2.8 and libstdc++2.9. The LDD_LIBRARY_PATH is
    Jason> designed to get rid of the 2.8 dependency.

That's not how it works.

It runs ldd against apt and sees that it depends on libpkg and
libstdc++2.9. Then it runs ldd against libpkg and sees that it depends
on libstdc++2.9. It never looks at the installed copy of libpkg,
except at the /var/lib/dpkg/info/apt.shlibs file.

I'm not kidding. :) APT 0.1.7 has no 2.8 dependancy, and it was built
with a libpkg linked against 2.8 on the system. I've done enough shlib
madness with GIMP to understand this, I'd hope.

--
Brought to you by the letters E and X and the number 18.
"More testicles means more iron." -- Lunchlady Doris, The Simpsons