Re: gnome-apt screenshot, more questions

BTW, you can now stop CC'ing me, I'm receiving the list fine.

On Nov 26, Havoc Pennington decided to present us with:
> On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Lalo Martins wrote:
> >
> >   1a: There should be "purge" too.
> Easy to add more checkboxes, but I don't know how to do this with Apt.
> There is no MarkPurge() function with the MarkDelete, MarkInstall,
> MarkKeep functions.

Hmm. Them IMHO apt is wrong. :-)

> Well, they are radio buttons in effect; i.e. if you click install, then
> keep gets unmarked. I could draw them like radio buttons, I just thought
> the check button look was nicer. (This is a purely cosmetic issue, so
> let's not worry about it. All cosmetics can eventually be changed or made
> configurable.)

Not exactly "just" cosmetics. Maybe I'm an UI purist, but it's a
widely accepted UI concept is that if something looks like a
checkbox then it has to be a checkbox, so that users don't get

Actually, I have some good UI bookmarks, should I post them?

(Also, it would be easier for you to use radio buttons, since
you're spending a lot of code to duplicate their functionality,
and that code will have to be maintaned)

Also, Jason said:
> Hold does not mean keep, keep means it is not going to change for this
> run, hold means it is fixed to not change ever.

Them, again, IMHO apt is wrong. Unless it's intentional not to
use /var/lib/dpkg/status and change things a lot.

> >   1e: Visually, I think the action selection would look better
> >   using that popup-selection widget (don't know the name of the
> >   corresponding GTK widget, but I mean the one that corresponds
> >   to a non-multiple <select> HTML tag)
> GtkOptionMenu?
> The problem is that the tree view can't have widgets in it; they are too
> slow. It is all drawn manually to a pixmap then copied to the screen in a
> single operation. Menus would be sort of busy anyway, IMO.  Check boxes
> are clean.

Sorry, I don't get it. Aren't the checkbox widgets too? And
customized widgets even, since they behave like checkboxes?
Well, whatever :-)

> We can also reduce the space they take up by using
> abbreviations for the column titles (DKI, not Del Keep Inst).

Yes, that would look better than the OptionMenu.

> > (duplicate dependency listings)
> See Jason's comment; I'm not sure how to avoid this anyway (for each
> dependency, go back up the tree looking for it?).

We can leave that for later; surely there's some easy way, but
let's not waste brains at this point :-)

> > (position of the package info)
> This is pretty trivial, but I'm not going to do it until things are
> working better.

So could you put it at the bottom or left by default please? :-)
[Unless someone disagrees]

> > (gdeb and the "Relationships" page)
> I like the relationships page, I'm just not sure where to put it.

See my comments on gdeb configurability at the end of the

> > (x) Hold    - leave package in its current state
> > ( ) Install - install or upgrade the package
> > ( ) Remove  - uninstall the package, leaving its configuration behind
> > ( ) Purge   - uninstall the package, deleting its configuration
> I like this, I don't want to make it a separate thing though, just put it
> in with the other status info. Since this is both info and a UI at the
> same time.

> > (gdeb display modes)
> Once I figure out the contents of the Info/Description panes, I can figure
> out how to put them in a notebook or not... I don't know exactly what info
> we want here yet or how much will fit...

No, I'm talking about "libgdeb" :-) Get back to the shots if you
wish. The idea is that the code to figure this info and display
it will be in a small lib that will be used by gnome-apt and
gdeb (and whoever else wants). So I add more gdeb_*_new functions
to retrieve the pseudo-widget in some form other than a
notebook. Wait and see; in the meanwhile concentrate on the tree

     And the sign said the words of the prophets
 are written on the subway walls and tenement halls
        and wispered in the sounds of silence
                 pgp key in the web page