Re: questions

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Simple naive question: do I need to worry about changing caches
> on-the-fly, or can I assume one cache will be loaded and endure for the
> entire gnome-apt session?

The cache should be reloaded after each run of dpkg and/or each package
list update. This should require the entire UI to basically restart
anyhow..

> Second question: what operations invalidate a pkgIterator and/or Package*,
> if any?

Only reloading the cache, they are static otherwise. Try not to store
the Iterator classes btw, they take up alot more space than just a Package
*, you can always create a new iterator from a pointer type.

> While we're at it: I want to know whether to show the Delete, Keep,
> Install check buttons for each package. What do I need to check to know
> whether each of these actions is possible, given a package or version
> iterator?

Check the old GUI code, in the bit that renders the buttons.. It's not too
hard if I recal.