Re: gdselect alpha 3

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Tom Lees wrote:

> I agree, but I needed something to get it up off the ground quickly.
> It could now almost certainly be ported to libapt very quickly,
> whereas writing it to libapt in the first place would have been
> harder, especially considering I already had the basics done a while
> ago.

Well depending on how you wrote things you might find that libapt is
'hard' to port too.

> Adam, how far have you got? Maybe we should collaborate on this.
> I believe its probably not much effort to port to libapt - the main
> problem is the "dependency screen" bit.

Well, if we are going to try for this I guess we ought to move over to the
deity list..

The library source and such forth is in CVS as usual. There is a new
forked development tree called 'apt' which is distinct and very different
from the current release. To get it do something like

export CVSROOT=":pserver:anonymous@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/deity"
cvs login
cvs co apt
cd apt
aclocal -I buildlib
autoconf
mkdir build
cd build
../configure
make

You'll need g++ and libstdc++2.9. To make use of the library from your
program you'll want to include -L .../apt/build/lib and -I
.../apt/build/include and use -lapt-pkg

Then you can start working on removing your library and replacing it with
this one.. I guess the main areas of questioning would be something like

  1) How do I startup the library
  2) How do I get a list of packages
     - Packages that a package depends on
     - With some sort of filter criteria
  3) How do I install/remove/keep a package

I guess I'll write another mail outlining the basic elements of each of
these.