Re: apt feature request...

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Dan Merillat wrote:

> I.E., apt-get -f install only needs to install 4 packages to fix the system,
> but wants to upgrade 20 additional packages. (Emacs20, emacs20-el, screen,
> tcl8.0, postgresql, lde, tcsh, bash, xbase, nethack... these are
> system-critical files???)

 > Now, I suppose I could tweak this with dselect, but I'm doing apt-get
> because my terminfo is totally trashed, so I purged ALL of ncurses to
> get rid of stray files.

Upon some investigating it would seem that the above paragraph yeilds the
problem. Without ncurses all of the packages you listed were broken. APT
assumes that it cannot fix them in-place and simply upgrades them to the
newest version which in turns brings in the pacakges they need.

I'm going to add a bit of a feature that tries slightly to minimize the
install set, however - it will not be ideal however there may be instances
where a smaller set is possible but I expect them to be unimportant.

I think it would have helped your case at least.