more apt notes...

Note 1: I don't think libstdc++2.8 is available in slink, even as oldlibs.
(I'm probably crazy, but I didn't see it in there, even when I got the ls-lR)

Note 2: Dependancy version information needs to be clearer...

Sorry, but the following packages are broken - this means they have unmet
dependencies:
  libc5-dev: Depends:libc5

$ dpkg -l libc5
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  libc5           5.4.38-1.1     The Linux C library version 5 (run-time libr

What this really means is that libc5-dev has a version conflict error:
$ dpkg -s libc5-dev
Package: libc5-dev
Section: devel
Installed-Size: 3496
Maintainer: Helmut Geyer <Helmut.Geyer@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de>
Source: libc
Version: 5.4.33-6
Replaces: ppp (<< 2.2.0f-22)
Provides: libc-dev
Depends: libc5 (= 5.4.33-6)
			^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Conflicts: libc (<< 4.6.27-11), libc-dev
 Includes libc headers, kernel headers (v2.0.29) and static
 libraries.

Perhaps the last line of apt-get should read
  libc5-dev: Depends:libc5 = 5.4.33-6 (5.4.38-1.1 installed)

Of course, this is a bo system, so I needed to update to libc6-dev anyway,
but this may not be the only dependancy thats a version conflict...
I know when I first saw that I said "But I _HAVE_ libc5 installed"
Took me a few minutes to realize why apt-get was complaining.

--Dan