Problem with apt

Using apt 1.1.0, I successfully upgraded from a february hamm to the
current (21 GMT Jul 16 1998) beta. When this was completed, "apt-get
update" no longer worked.

I did the upgrade in several stages - I did not like the idea of a 3
hour unattended download. "apt-get -s dist-upgrade | head -15" to get
a list of packages to upgrade, "apt-get install" to install them, and
once or twice on the way "apt-get update".

But after the upgrade, "apt-get update" no longer works. When Packages
file have been downloaded, it hangs with prograss at about 95%, and a
message about mtime. After a while, Perl complains about an
uninitialized variable, and nothing more happens. "apt-get install"
still works, though.

I have tried removing apt, removing everything in /var/cache/apt and
/var/state/apt, and reinstalling it. The problem persists.

I first noticed the problem after adding slink to
/etc/apt/sources.list. But removing slink did not solve the problem.

(Sent the message to debian-devel before I saw this address)

Jon