Re: I cannot use apt?

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Daniel Mashao wrote:

> I am wondering if this is due to the proxy-server problems. Ny university
> has some cache that needs to be specified for me to be able to ftp/http
> outside the university.

Read the 'sources.list' man page (man sources.list) and look for proxy.
Basically you want to do,

export http_proxy="http://myproxy.myuniv.za:3128/";
apt-get update

You need to determine the hostname and port number of the proxy server, if
authentication is needed then you also need to stick in the proper
credentials. wget and lynx also use this mechanism so if you put that in
your shell profile you'll be ok.