Re: netselect - choosing the best FTP server automatically

On Sat, Jun 27, 1998 at 09:39:26PM -0400, James R. Van Zandt wrote:

> Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@worldvisions.ca> writes:
> >Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> >> My question is how can we build a single weighted score for each
> >> site? Let the user pick one of the top two or so. But how do you
> >> weight?
> >
> >Assuming that the packet loss and timing statistics were made more
> >reliable...
> >
> >I would say that packet loss and delay are of almost equal
> >importance, and hop count considerably less.
>
> I suggest:
>               (1 - packet_loss) / average_delay
>
> If you multiplied this by the size of the packets, it would be
> approximately the bandwidth (bytes per second).

Unfortunately, packet loss causes a disproportionate amount of trouble; if I
miss 20% of packets, I don't get 80% of bandwidth.  I get maybe 10% of
bandwidth because TCP starts fizzling out.

Hence my big mess of a math formula assigning packet loss and delay
approximately equal weighting.  A 50% site with 10ms delay simply should
never win compared to a 90% site with 200ms delay.

IMHO... best thing to do is take a lot of results, transfer a file from each
of the "obviously better" hosts, and see what formula results in the closest
result :)

Have fun,

Avery