Re: FTP Bugs

On 26 Jun 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	Well, most of the FTP bugs are due to the ftp library erroring
>  out on all kinds of conditions; I have now arranged to trap the
>  error-exits. Since the library exits on all kinds of non-nominal
>  conditions, it is not ewasy to know which one is OK (like, a time
>  out), so I have done little apart from exiting while displaying all
>  possible information.

Hm, a few bugs are that the FTP class does not fail nicely and does spew
all this information, we should decide if this is desired. Does this
information have any use to most users? If not then silence it and give
some sort of error message.

> 	I am less than pleased at the behaviour of the FTP library,
>  and I think I would like to forward some of the bugs upstream, or at
>  least tell the upstream author about the behaviour of the library
>  when stress tested like this.

A couple things at least seem to use this library so we probably should
try to improve it. It's not one of those perl things with an evil
copyright I hope? Are there any other FTP libraries for perl?

The list of bugs looks like,

#23292: apt: using the ftp method the package files are always downloaded

This one sounds bad if it is accurate, do we know anything about it?

#23417: apt: possible problem with passive ftp mode

This looks like these error conditions from above, I don't think it's an
APT bug as he suggested, the method should just fail nicely if the files
don't exist.

#23513: apt: apt gets in a deadlock, when it doesn't find a file

Having to kill -9 the perl process doesn't sound at all nice, will the new
eval stuff correct this too?

#23791: apt: apt under bo and missing libmd5-perl

Does anyone know where libmd5-perl is under bo? I'll correct the build if
someone tells me.

#23856: APT bombs in perl library.

This is different, it blew up in the time library - is this code evaled?

Thanks,