Re: Hello a little bio

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Matthew Hirsch wrote:

> Hello Jason,
> 	I hope that my project does sound intresting, I would like to see
> some discussion with others about it's design idea.

Well, send a summary to the list, I'm sure someone will comment :> From my
quick look it seems more sideways - we did have plans to have a cgi web
interface.

What the core of deity really is right now is a set of routines for
maniplulating the state of packages, downloading files and performing the
installation/removal (via a dpkg call) of packages. A web interface would
be just like any other and would sit ontop all of these routines.

Right now we are making a push to include a downloading tool based on
Deity's dependancy and Aquire code in the 2.0 release, so things are
focused away from the GUI and onto the library right now.

The GUI itself is slowly crawling forward. It runs in X and console via a
custom GUI library that makes it simple to do both interfaces. Right now
it would be fairly usable if the new Aquire code was integrated in.

> I will take a look at the files on your pages and will try to setup
> a machine that can acually develop deity (or whatever it gets called)

K, it is not X only so you don't need X installed, just Xlib and
Xlib-devel.

> I am currently a system administrator at a finacial firm it mid-town
> manhattan, new york city (USA)
> I have in the past done a little bit of development but it was mostly
> in ms applications ex: large realtime scripts in MS excel.
> (that was over afew years ago)

'realtime' in Excel? Interesting :>

> I have learned  perl and I do know a bit of C (enought to debug it)
> the cvs learning curve and the C+ learnign curve are probably a good idea
> for me to go up and I will consider doing that for working on deity
> but, I would like to only do C++ if it is really the best thing to do.
> learning java for a high performance crypto-cracking application might be
> cool,it can be done, but you would be much better off doing that app in
> C++.
> likewise for deity.

Well, I used C++ exclusively simply because there is no reason not to :>
Most of the time there isn't much practicle difference between C++ and C,
C++ just means less typing for me :>

Jason