Re: Package description field

On Sat, Jan 24, 1998 at 11:52:08PM -0000, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> I am trying to get the description display to show the description text
> neatly. This involves reformatting the whole text into paragraphs and then
> wrapping to the width of the box using a proportional font.

Same as dselect as I can see.

> The trouble is that there are some really weird package entries that I
> can't do anything with, take ssh for instance:
>
>   Ssh (Secure Shell) is a program to log into another computer over a
>   network, to execute commands in a remote machine, and to move files
>   from one machine to another.  It provides strong authentication and
>   secure communications over insecure channels.  It is intended as a
>   replacement for rlogin, rsh, rcp, and rdist.
>   --------------------------------------------------------------------
>   This software may be freely imported into the United States; however,
>   the United States Government may consider re-exporting it a criminal
>   offense.  Thus, if you are outside the US, please retrieve this
>   software from outside the US.
>   Futhermore, in the US, you might be in conflict with the RSA patent.
>   In some countries, particularly Russia, Iraq, Pakistan, and France, it
>   may be illegal to use any encryption at all without a special permit.

I seem to remember that it was policy that the text may be splitted into
paragraphs by placing a single dot `.' in one line.  Unfortunately I can't
find it in the policy and in the developer's reference.

Christian: Could you add this to the policy or start a new thread on
debian-policy:

Description field:

 . The description should be written so that it tells the user what
   they need to know to decide whether to install the package.

 . This description should not just be copied from the blurb for the
   program.

 . Instructions for configuring or using the package should not be
   included--that is what installation scripts, manual pages, Info
   files, etc. are for. Copyright statements and other administrivia
   should not be included--that is what the copyright file is for.

 . You may divide the description into paragraphs that will displayed
   nicely within the "packages frontends" (such as dselect an deity).
   Paragraphs are delimited by a single dot `.' in the line between
   them.

 . To make the text more readable you might use two spaces after a
   full stop - you don't need to as the "packages frontends" will
   re-format the text and handle this.

 . You may - on the other hand - not insert additional spaces between
   normal words.

 . If you want to include a list of features, programs etc in the
   description, prepend each item with a singe dash `-'.  The
   "packages frontends" will notice this automatically and re-format
   them correctly.

[The first three statements are already covered in the policy]

The last but one statement came from iwj asking me to change a
description field that was mistakenly formatted as a block
(raggedright+raggedleft).

The last statement is a proposa by me.

> I don't see much way to advoid formatting the text, I already tried
> without and it just looks awefull. The only way to advoid it is to use a
> 80col fixed width display someplace to view the text.

It should be reformatted, just because you might run deity with ~50
columns while I may run it with 132 columns big.

> So, should we try to convince the debian-policy people that we need some
> sort of policy for package description texts?

Yes.

Regards,

	Joey
 / The MS-DOS filesystem is nice for removable media             /
/                                             -- H. Peter Anvin /