Re: Self Referencing depends

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jan 1998 jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 06, 1998 at 11:34:01PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > > In my continuing testing of deity I have discovered a number of packages
> > > that had/have a self referencing depends, ie:
> >
> > > I just want to be sure that this IS a packaging bug and not something done
> > > deliberately. It looks like the packages I mentioned above are fixed in
> > > hamm so this only effects bo users and upgrading..
>
> How does this affect upgrading from bo? I think, deity should support
> these upgrades in a user friendly manner. Otherwise, people will hate
> deity as they hate dselect from the first minute.

When you run deity on a bo system it will consider all installed packages
with this screwy depends setup to be broken and will complain bitterly.
There is very little I can do about that without weakening the depends
checking. I hope this will not be a problem, upgrading from bo with Deity
will be okay, only running deity on an all bo system will have issues.

> But note, that a package may "Conflict:" with something it provides:
>
>    Package: sendmail
>    Version: 8.8.5-1
>    Provides: mail-transport-agent
>    Conflicts: mail-transport-agent, smail

This is exactly why Deity will never match a depends against the owning
package. We handle all depends in the same way so if you say that 'A
package may not conflict with itself' then you are also saying 'A package
may not depend on itself'. Since conflicts is just a form of depends.