Re: Self Referencing depends

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998 jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 06, 1998 at 11:34:01PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > In my continuing testing of deity I have discovered a number of packages
> > that had/have a self referencing depends, ie:
>
> > I just want to be sure that this IS a packaging bug and not something done
> > deliberately. It looks like the packages I mentioned above are fixed in
> > hamm so this only effects bo users and upgrading..

How does this affect upgrading from bo? I think, deity should support
these upgrades in a user friendly manner. Otherwise, people will hate
deity as they hate dselect from the first minute.

> I suspect a self-referenced "Depends:" is always a bug. However, you also
> reported a bug in the "ddd" package that "Provides:" itself. This type of
> self-reference need not be a bug.
>
> For instance, take "unzip". The "unzip" and "unzip-crypt" (on non-US)
> packages both provide the virtual package "unzip", so that other packages
> can have a "Depends: unzip" (the virtual one), without having to know which
> packages actually provide that functionality.

Why has "unzip" to "Provide" itself? As "unzip" is a _real_ package, there
should be no need for a "virtual" package. (Of course, "unzip-crypt" would
have to Provide: unzip.)

But note, that a package may "Conflict:" with something it provides:

   Package: sendmail
   Version: 8.8.5-1
   Provides: mail-transport-agent
   Conflicts: mail-transport-agent, smail

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/