Re: predepends on libc6? (fwd)

Anyone else thinking that maybe we should just immediately configure all
essential packages?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 08 Dec 1997 21:59:00 +0200
From: Kai Henningsen <kaih@khms.westfalen.de>
To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: predepends on libc6?

I've just tried to strace dpkg -i libc6, and look at the result; _that_
install needs

dpkg (dpkg, dpkg-split, dpkg-deb, libdpkg)
gzip
tar
fileutils (rm)
ldso (ldconfig)
libc

So we'd probably need pre-depends dpkg->(gzip,tar,fileutils)->libc->ldso.

Of these, we have tar->libc6, fileutils->libc6, libc6->ldso.

By the way, shouldn't Pre-Depends: only be used for Essential: yes
packages? I see Pre-Depends: without Essential: in the following packages:
libc5, libc6, perl, netstd, elvis-tiny, libreadline2 - probably some of
these ought to be essential, and the others not use pre-depends?