Re: Autoinstall, upgrade, etc

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Behan Webster wrote:

> > > Give me an example of an "uninstallable package"?
> >
> > It's possible in two cases, both because a dependancy cannot be resolved
> >   1) The target of a dependancy doesn't exist
>
> i.e. a package (or a particular version of a package) is not available
> even though an auto-install requires it?
>
> This eventuality had not occurred to me.  Hmmm.
>
> At the very least, an error message about this should be listed in the
> status window, and in the install screen.  Something like "unresolvable
> dependancy".
>
> I don't want dialog boxes popping up all over the place on errors, I
> find that very irritating and it is generally considered bad UI style.
>
> The options that come to mind are:
> 1) If a package cannot be upgraded due to a missing dependancy, then
> gray out the "inst" button when you first draw the selection screen.
> 2) If on clicking the "inst" button deity determines that there is a
> missing dependency, beep, and show an error message in the status bar.

> Which of these options would be easier to implement?

Both :> I like the greying of the inst button. This might be fun because
some packages still depend on the obsolete 'elf-x11r6' library. Deity will
immediately mark these for removal and prevent you from installing them
<hmmm, uh oh>

Deity is going to be pretty agressive in ensuring that your system is the
way it should be. Dselect only seemed to care when you performed an
option, Deity knows right from the start if a package is incorrectly
installed and will try to fix it (by removing it or installing something
new).. This might be bad :>

> In either case, we would have to provide a way for the user to override
> this (perhaps another control in the status window).

Ah, the controll can ungrey the install box then. Or perhaps we could have
a menu option to force install which will force it into the install or
keep position.

There may be some issues here, it will be a bit before I can tell you what
works nicest..