pkg-order: Issues with conflicts

Hi,

	This is the reply from Roman:
	manoj
> Hmm. I don't think pkg-order takes care of replaces (or any kinds of
> deinstalls, for that matter) directly.

In other words: pkg-order currently doesn't care that the same package
is in $installed and $candidates, right?

I already thought about removing the package from the $installed list
if it is also in $candidates, as a workaround.

> I guess for each
>  package to be upgraded, and for all packages removed because of a
>  conflict & replace, all the installed packages should be marked in
>  some way so that they do not take part in dependency checking, or in
>  conflicts.
>
> 	  So, the idea is to present the list to the user, and if they
>  cause installed packages to be marked for deletion, call
>  $installed->mark("Package" => libreadline2, "Mark" => "delete");
>  (Note that this is not yet implemented).

This is basically the same as my workaround, except that the objects
aren't really deleted, only flagged so that they're ignored. (It's for
me no problem to re-add them later, because I have second lists of the
installed/to-be-installed packages.)

> After one or more calls to mark, the pkg-ordering routine should be
> run again to reflect the new status.

I do that anyway after each change to one of the lists. This is slow
and expensive, yes, but I currently don't see any other way to get
proper results... I guess it would be very hard to do a "selective"
dependency recalculation, right?

Roman

--
 VOLUNTEER SUBJECT: A college sophomore who, of his or her own free
 will, is allowed to choose between participating in an experiment or