Re: Design Document: Version 0.01

On 30 Sep 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> >>"Jason" == Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> writes:
>
> Jason> On 30 Sep 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>
> Jason> That is all up to the UI. Upgrading is done selectively based
> Jason> on what distribution (stable/unstable) and user choice in that
> Jason> matter.
>
> 	Quite. Given that the distributions are selected as one I want
>  to upgrade from, there is a default that is set up (dslect shows a
>  list of upgraded packages). I am talking about the default upgrade
>  option offered: I want it to be very easy to upgrade to foo version 3.

Part of the original scheme was that you can say:
    cron -> is a 'bo' package
    libc6 -> is a 'hamm' package
    cvs -> is a 'hamm' package
all others are default (bo). If a new version of cron was added to the bo
package file then it would be marked by the UI for auto upgrade, if a new
version of cron was added to the hamm package file then nothing would
happen.

 > 	I am, I guess, questioning the requirement for listing the
>  Packages files in a given order. I think that if package foo is
>  insatalled, it should be automatically be offered for upgrading,

The order is to choose a source for the upgrade. IE if you a CD and a FTP
mirror setup as sources then you will want as many packages as possible
(iff they are the newest versions) to come off the CD. So by listing the
CD first it will take priority for same version conflicts. Any distinct
versions will be listed twice and then the UI will pick the higher one.

Behan should be able to comment more...

> Jason> As part of the cache generation all version lists are sorted
> Jason> (no duplicates are permitted) which means the only time
> Jason> versions are compared is when depends are being analysed.
>
> 	Umm, does that mean that the previous capability is useless
>  since no more than one version shall be entered? (that does not sound
>  right. I must be missing something. Where's the coffee?)

One equal version. Ie there may only be one 2.3 in the list, but there can
be a 2.2, 2.4 also. The one that is put in the list is the first one
found.