[Pkg-xfce-devel] Debian testing installs with XDM as dependency of Xfce fail (eventually) when switched to LightDM

On 09/01/2011 04:29 PM, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On jeu., 2011-09-01 at 15:01 -0400, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
>> If you think that this is possibly due to some gremlin in the original
>> installation / dependencies setup I'll just wait until LightDM has been
>> made of dependency of the Xfce desktop, and then try clean installations.
>
> It might be interesting to compare the output of dpkg -l on the 5
> installs.

I will try to gather this information within the ensuing day or so. The
rest of today and most of tomorrow are spoken for by "she who must be
obeyed". I may be limited to getting the output on only one machine out
of each of the two groups, working and non-working. (Most of the systems
are notebooks and travel with their users -- especially on weekends.)

>> Bear in mind that I saw someone running Xubuntu (I forget the version.)
>> over on the LightDM list complaining about what sounded to me like
>> pretty much the same issue, so I'm thinking the problem may also not be
>> distro-specific to Debian.
>>
> Something interesting would be the /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log in
> various cases (working, ?init respawned to fast? and failing).
>
> Regards,

Ouch! My compulsive need to purge when removing packages is going to
bite me here, I think. The lightdm logs are gone from the two troubled
systems. (I know, I'm an idiot. And I've been an idiot more than once in
this case.) That means I have to set up one of my primary machines to
fail again so that I can get the history we need.

If I can summon the strength to tackle this over the upcoming long
weekend (Friday through Tuesday for me), I'll do my best to get some
useful information for you.

I greatly appreciate your tolerance and interest. I have been
approaching this issue very much more from the standpoint of an end user
than a systems admin because of the particular purposes of these
systems. Since I am able to use the machines to accomplish everything I
need of them, this situation is hardly a matter of dire straights for
me. But -- if there's any chance that my attempts may be helpful to the
community -- I want to contribute by providing this information.

I'll be getting back to the list when I have something to report.

Many thanks,
Gilbert