Re: How to set up a supplementary xorg.conf Device section

On 21/03/17 05:58 AM, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 08:56:58PM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> On 2017-03-20 15:18 -0400, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
>>
>>> I'm at a loss, then.  As you originally suspected, maybe it is a
>>> graphics driver issue.  Attaching Xorg.log[2].
>>
>> Apparently you have an Intel GPU and use the modesetting(4) driver (the
>> default).  You could try to disable acceleration
>> (Option "AccelMethod" "none" in xorg.conf) or use the intel driver
>> (cp /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-intel/xorg.conf /etc/X11), and see
>> if that makes a difference.
>
> I beg your indulgence.  If you don't have it to spare, just tell me to JFGI and
> I will, but I see some humor and irony in my situation.  Plus I like
> reconnecting with old Debian colleagues.
>
> I don't precisely know how to do this.  I've never had to actually fight with a
> modularized xorg.conf file before.  I have, however, consulted xorg.conf(5) and
> modesetting(4).
>
> Here's what I think I need to do:
> 1) Create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. (done)
> 2) Write a file to put in there. (in progress)

Just modify or create /etc/X11/xorg.conf directly. The xorg.conf.d
mechanism is for snippets shipped in packages.

> The problem is that an Identifier is mandatory for the Device Section I am
> writing, and I cannot tell from my Xorg.0.log file what identifier is
> "autodetected".  How do I figure this out?

The identifier doesn't matter, it would only be used for referring to
the Section "Device" from other sections in the configuration.

> I am attaching my untested conf file.

Looks like that should just work.