Re: Removing old unmaintained X drivers

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 02:29:05PM +0100, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 10:26 PM, Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>wrote:
> > (...)
> > xserver-xorg-video-sis
> > (...)

The SiS chipset was, unfortunately, really popular with manufacturers of
relatively expensive micro PeeCees (EzGo, Jadetec, etc.), which were
essentially notebook hardware crammed into a small desktop case.  Here's
a link with good pics: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/smallest,530-2.html
and see also http://www.snotmonkey.com/work/ezgo/ for detailed specs.
It's based on the P4, and I've got one of them.  Case has the footprint
of a "shuttle", but is about half the height.  If I *could* switch video
cards, I'd do it in a heartbeat because SiS video cards have given me nothing
but grief through the years.

In the "unsolved wontfix" ubuntu bug list for the driver, mention is
made of the fact XAA support went bye-bye, and the attempted use of EXA
causes looping segfaults on X server startup.  Only current workaround
is to disable acceleration.  Truly a case of "bad breath is better than
no breath".

--Bob