Re: state of xserver-xorg-video-ati

Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> writes:
>> For a long time, I haven't been able to upgrade xorg on my system
>> because it I use "xserver-xorg-video-ati", which depends on
>> "xserver-xorg-video-r128", which is out-of-date w/r/t the rest of xorg.
>>
> What do you mean "out of date w/r/t the rest of xorg"?

[Sorry, the system in question is my home system; I'll try to give a
more informative reply from home tonight.]

I'm not sure the correct terminology to use, but if I just try to do
an "upgrade" in aptitude, most of xorg gets marked for upgrading --
but xserver-xorg-video-r128 is marked as "broken" (and this has been
true for ages)... the only way that I can resolve the situation in
aptitude is to not upgrade xorg.

Hmm... I just tried to install xserver-xorg-video-ati at work
(which uses intel graphics, so I didn't have it installed before),
which already  has the latest version xorg installed ... and it gives
no dependency problems!

So maybe something weird is going on on my home machine with
xorg dependencies...

Anyway, sorry, more later.

Thanks,

-Miles

--
Saa, shall we dance?  (from a dance-class advertisement)