state of xserver-xorg-video-ati

For a long time, I haven't been able to upgrade xorg on my system
because it I use "xserver-xorg-video-ati", which depends on
"xserver-xorg-video-r128", which is out-of-date w/r/t the rest of xorg.

My system has a radeon GPU, so of course what I _really_ want is
xserver-xorg-video-radeon, but my impression was that one couldn't use
that directly, and always had to pull it in via xserver-xorg-video-ati.

My questions:

  (1) Is xserver-xorg-video-ati still necessary, or can i install only
  xserver-xorg-video-radeon and avoid the above problem?

  (2) What's the deal with xserver-xorg-video-r128?  Is it gonna be
  updated at some point so people that need xserver-xorg-video-ati can
  upgrade...?

Thanks,

-miles

--
o The existentialist, not having a pillow, goes everywhere with the book by
  Sullivan, _I am going to spit on your graves_.