compiz plans

hello hello!

i'd like to propose that we start move towards shipping 0.9 packages in
the near future.  it's not clear that they're 100% stable (relative to
the current level of stability anyway), although they are showing up in
natty now so it's probably not that bad, either.

i see that janos has spent some time on upgrading the packages/packaging
a while back and that the packages are sitting on mentors.d.n.  thanks
for the footwork there :)  because they weren't done in git, i don't
think they should directly be sponsored,  but i'm thnking that we can
use them as a basis for the next version, after we get it rolled into
git (which will have it's own set of problems due to upstream branch
fun).

oh, on that last parenthetical, i chatted on IRC with KiBi but i want to
make sure that everyone else here is okay with the plans about the git
changes.  since 0.8 and 0.9 diverged like, what, 2 years ago, this will
not work well merging into our upstream branch.  so what i propose is
doing something like what i blogged about earlier today[1]:

	git branch -m upstream-unstable upstream-unstable-save
	git branch upstream-unstable upstream-remote/master
	git merge -s ours upstream-unstable
	git diff ref-to-be-merged | git apply -R --index --exclude="debian/*"
	git commit -F .git/COMMIT_EDITMSG --amend

so basically upstream-unstable will remain fast-forwardable, but to the
new upstream branch (i.e. current checkouts will break), but our
packaging history in the debian branch remains consistant (and will not
break). sound good?

so how about, as time permits over the next week or so, i start doing
the git foo, importing the packages, pushing these guys out towards
experimental?  that way we should get a bit more visibility and can
double check the upgrade paths etc without losing the oppurtunity to
postpone it further if we don't like the resulting situation.

	sean

[1] http://www.seanius.net/blog/2011/02/git-merge-s-theirs/