Re: Ubuntu X plans for the next release

On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 11:19 +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Don, 2010-05-20 at 17:53 +1000, Christopher James Halse Rogers
> wrote:
> >
> > In support of our ARM friends we'd like to package mesa's GLES support.
>
> Cool, though can you elaborate how exactly this will help them?

From what I gathered at UDS, ARM hardware tends to have only EGL/GLES
support.  We want to have Unity, based on clutter, available on ARM
hardware, so we need to build the egl clutter backend, so we need an egl
library.  Even better if we can also test these on regular desktop
systems.

So what we *need* is EGL to build the clutter backend.  Having ES
drivers to actually test on desktop hardware would be nice, too.

> > It looks like this would be split into a libegl1-mesa containing the
> > library and a libegl1-mesa-drivers containing the dri, dri2 and glx
> > drivers.
>
> Note that EGL and GLES are different beasts - similar to GLX vs. OpenGL,
> but there are actually separate EGL and GLES libraries.

Right.  As I understand it, EGL is basically the windowing-system
integration bit, covering what in OpenGL would be glx, wgl, and whatever
Apple's got (agl?).  GLES is the actual rendering API which was at one
point kinda-sorta a subset of GL, but is now kinda-sorta a parallel API.

> BTW, are you talking about the Gallium or non-Gallium EGL stacks, or
> both?

Whichever works best, really.  I haven't played around enough to make
and informed decision here yet.  Plausibly both.

> > Additionally, I understand that the r300g gallium driver is maturing
> > rapidly, and there's a chance that it'll be the recommended 3D driver
> > for mesa 7.9.  If not, I think this would also be a good candidate for a
> > libgl1-mesa-experimental package.
>
> Sounds good. It might also be nice to provide other Gallium options,
> e.g. llvmpipe powered swrastg_dri.so / libgl1-mesa-swx11 or OpenVG.

There's a bunch of interesting stuff there.  I'm sure either I, or one
of our intrepid contributors, would love to enable all the shiny.

OpenVG at least seems safe to enable, and possibly g3dvl, too, although
that's less interesting as (a) no one really cares about accelerating
MPEG2 and (b) only nouveau has the hardware glue.