What is the reason for tls_model("initial-exec") in Mesa?

Hi,

In mesa-7.7.1/src/glx/x11/glxcurrent.c, GLX gets initialized with tls_model("initial-exec").
However, it seems that this TLS mode is not intended for libraries [1].
Using "initial-exec" causes problems with other libraries like libavg (see Ubuntu bug report [2]). The problem seems also to be related to Debian bug 365245 [3]. The problem apparently shows up as segfaults when reading from an input stream. Changing the TLS mode to "global-dynamic" fixes the problem on my setup (Debian Testing, 2.6.35 64bit, open-source Radeon driver, MacBookPro 2,2). The libavg folks have been hunting this problem for some time and it affects a lot of users [4]

Unfortunately, I do not know the effect of different TLS modes on graphics performance.
Is it possible to exchange "initial-exec" with another TLS mode in Mesa?

Please keep me CC as I am not on the list.

Cheers,

Raphael

[1] http://readlist.com/lists/gcc.gnu.org/gcc-help/1/6013.html
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mesa/+bug/259219
[4] https://www.libavg.de/wiki/index.php/Known_Linux_Installation_Issues#glibc_invalid_pointer

--

Dipl.-Medieninf. Raphael Wimmer
Wiss. Mitarbeiter / Research Assistant

Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München   E-Mail: raphael.wimmer@ifi.lmu.de
LFE Medieninformatik                     Skype:  real_raphman
Amalienstr. 17 / Raum 206 WWW: http://www.medien.ifi.lmu.de
80333 München                            Tel:    +49 (89) 2180-4659
Germany                                  Fax:    +49 (89) 2180-99-4659