Issues with latest stable lenny xserver (Intel)

I am not sure this is a bug, but it has causes me a lot of grief, and having found the solution I thought it best to pass it over to you guys to work out what, if anything to do about it.

Its a longish story, but this machine - Intel board, Intel chipsets celeron dual core, - has never been totally good in the video department.

I originally installed basic lenny stable, and it was - stable - but the graphics were dog slow.

Following some googling I upgraded the kernel using backports, and video speeds improved dramatically, but I then at some stage got an x-server upgrade and the graphics went bad on me.

After the first autmatic (xserver?) upgrade, I was getting bits of popup windows backgrounds - typically on firefox - 'left behind' when I scrolled away, rather than moused away from a popup. This happened about March time

Nothing seemed to work to fix it, so I left it as an irritation.

Then subsequently after IIRC an ugprade to the Intel driver, a couole of weeks ago, I started to get crashes.

the packages are

- kernel is 2.6.32-bpo.3-amd64
- xserver-xorg 2:1.4.2-10.lennny2
- xserver-xorg--video-intel 2:2.3.2-2.lenny7

Board uses onboard chipset: lspci reveals:

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 10)

Arse end of the xorg log file showed the following

(WW) intel(0): PRB0_HEAD (0xda2081c4) and PRB0_TAIL (0x00000000) indicate ring b
uffer not flushed
(WW) intel(0): Existing errors found in hardware state.
(II) intel(0): Output configuration:
(II) intel(0):   Pipe A is on
(II) intel(0):   Display plane A is now enabled and connected to pipe A.
(II) intel(0):   Pipe B is off
(II) intel(0):   Display plane B is now disabled and connected to pipe B.
(II) intel(0):   Output VGA is connected to pipe A
(II) intel(0): [drm] dma control initialized, using IRQ 28
(II) intel(0): RandR 1.2 enabled, ignore the following RandR disabled message.
(II) intel(0): DPMS enabled
(II) intel(0): Set up textured video
(II) intel(0): Set up overlay video
(II) intel(0): direct rendering: Enabled
(WW) intel(0): Option "UseFBDev" is not used
(--) RandR disabled
(II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
(II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
(II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
(II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
(II) Initializing built-in extension XC-APPGROUP
(II) Initializing built-in extension XAccessControlExtension
(II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
(II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
(II) Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
(II) Initializing built-in extension XFree86-Bigfont
(II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
(II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR
(II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
(II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
(II) Initializing built-in extension XEVIE
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 12, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:00:02.0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 12, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 12
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:00:02.0
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x24
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x25
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x26
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x27
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x28
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x29
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2a
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2b
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2c
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2d
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2e
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2f
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x30
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x31
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x32
(II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/dri/i915_dri.so
(II) GLX: Initialized DRI GL provider for screen 0
(II) intel(0): Setting screen physical size to 459 x 296
(WW) Configured Mouse: No Device specified, looking for one...
(II) Configured Mouse: Setting Device option to "/dev/input/mice"
(--) Configured Mouse: Device: "/dev/input/mice"
(==) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "Auto"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Configured Mouse: always reports core events
(==) Configured Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Configured Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 9
(**) Configured Mouse: Sensitivity: 1
(**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
(**) Generic Keyboard: always reports core events
(**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
(**) Generic Keyboard: Protocol: standard
(**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
(**) Generic Keyboard: XkbRules: "xorg"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
(**) Generic Keyboard: XkbModel: "pc105"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
(**) Generic Keyboard: XkbLayout: "gb"
(**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
(**) Generic Keyboard: CustomKeycodes disabled
(II) evaluating device (Configured Mouse)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
(II) evaluating device (Generic Keyboard)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Generic Keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)
(--) Configured Mouse: PnP-detected protocol: "ExplorerPS/2"
(II) Configured Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
Error in I830WaitLpRing(), timeout for 2 seconds
pgetbl_ctl: 0x00000001 getbl_err: 0x00000000
ipeir: 0x00000000 iphdr: 0x02000011
LP ring tail: 0x000081b0 head: 0x000081c4 len: 0x0001f001 start 0x00000000
eir: 0x0000 esr: 0x0000 emr: 0xffed
instdone: 0xfa41 instpm: 0x0000
memmode: 0x00000306 instps: 0x80007826
hwstam: 0xeffe ier: 0x8053 imr: 0x7fae iir: 0x0000
Ring at virtual 0x7f6e0b587000 head 0x81c4 tail 0x81b0 count 32763
   00008144: 00000000
   00008148: 00000010
   0000814c: 02000000
   00008150: 54f00006
   00008154: 03cc2000
   00008158: 000802f0
   0000815c: 000c02f4
   00008160: 01000000
   00008164: 00000000
   00008168: 00000010
   0000816c: 02000000
   00008170: 54f00006
   00008174: 03cc2000
   00008178: 000802f4
   0000817c: 000c02f8
   00008180: 01000000
   00008184: 00000000
   00008188: 00000010
   0000818c: 02000000
   00008190: 54f00006
   00008194: 03cc2000
   00008198: 000802f8
   0000819c: 000c02fc
   000081a0: 01000000
   000081a4: 00000000
   000081a8: 00000010
   000081ac: 02000000
   000081b0: 00000720
   000081b4: 00000000
   000081b8: 00000720
   000081bc: 00000000
   000081c0: 00000720
   000081c4: 00000000
Ring end
space: 12 wanted 32
(II) intel(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) intel(0): [drm] unmapping 8192 bytes of SAREA 0x2b7ff000 at 0x7f6e1f964000
(II) intel(0): [drm] Closed DRM master.

Fatal server error:
lockup

(II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
(II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 0
(II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 1
(II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 2
(II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 3
(II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 4

Now I am pretty sure I tried reconfiguring the X server after the upgrade, but anyway, I found that I needed to do the following to xorg.conf which seems to have fixed both the crashes, and the screen artefacts.

Section "Device"
   Identifier    "Configured Video Device"
#    Option        "UseFBDev"        "true"
   Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
EndSection

The key was the Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
This has removed errors from the xorg logs, and the crashes and artefacts seem to have gone.
The logs complained about UseFDBdev so I commented it out.

I think this should be the default behaviour for Intel onboard chips as in my case it has also improved video speeds.

Over to you guys.

Regards
Leo Smith