Re: intel driver and KMS

Hello,

On 3 April 2010 20:53, Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:
> Pedro Ribeiro <pedrib@gmail.com> (03/04/2010):
>> Hi all,
>
> Hi,
>
>> However, as you are certainly aware the newer versions require KMS.
>
> hint: that might even be a reason for our keeping 2.11 in
> experimental.
>
>> This conflicts with the goals set a few months ago that KMS would be
>> shipped in Squeeze disabled. How do you plan to address this?
>
> At the moment, 2.9 means we can go for KMS as the default, while still
> allowing people to switch back to UMS, should they wish to do so.
>
> Not sure how the situation is going to evolve, though.

I'm not asking because I want the latest and greatest driver on Debian
(in case of the intel driver, you can hardly say the greatest...)

As you might be aware, Intel recently launched a new platform for the
core iX. This platform includes a new integrated graphics card, Intel
HD.

The drivers before 2.10 have at best flakey support for this card, as
any kernel < 2.6.33. The Debian kernel team is considering using
2.6.32 patched with a new drm tree which includes the support for
Intel HD, so that solves one end of the problem (see
http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2010/02/msg00727.html ).

It would be great if the upcoming Squeeze would support this platform
properly - all new laptops are using it and this would provide some
sort of future proof for the stable version!

This is a tricky decision for you, because forcing users to switch to
KMS is not very nice... but I believe in the end this is better,
because upstream does not support UMS anymore, which would make your
life difficult for bug handling. In other words, the number of bugs
would rise sharply as you force users to switch to KMS, but hopefully
will come down with time and pay off over the support years of stable.

>> Please don't take my questions as an insult of some sort - I'm just
>> curious.
>
> I so feel like insulted. :D

I just don't want you to feel like I'm stepping on your toes, because
it sounds like I'm giving advice and I'm not even a DD! But like I
said, I'm just a concerned user and Debian lover.

>> PS: Please mail me directly, I'm not on the list!

> Done.
>
> Mraw,
> KiBi.

Regards,