Re: Two problems with KMS on Intel graphics

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 11:16:24 +0200, Sebastian Krause wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Out of interest I tried out KMS for my laptop with an integrated
> Intel graphics chipset. lspci reports the following hardware:
>
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
> 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
>
> I followed the instructions on http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModesetting
> and it is mostly working fine. However, so far I could find the
> following two problems:
>
> 1) My laptop's native resolution is 1440x900 and KMS sets it
> correctly. But the console itself limits itself to around 1024x768
> which leads to empty black spaces below and right of the console
> text.

This is probably a known bug in TV detection, fixed in 2.6.31-git

> 2) To set the screen resolution to 96 dpi, I use the following
> minimal xorg.conf which works fine without KMS:
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
>         Option          "Monitor-LVDS" "Internal Panel"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier      "Internal Panel"
>         DisplaySize     381 238
> EndSection

The output names change with kms, so you need to use LVDS1 instead of
LVDS.

The intel-gfx@lists.freedesktop.org or xorg@lists.freedesktop.org
mailing lists are probably a better forum for this kind of questions
though.

Cheers,
Julien