Re: xserver-xorg-video-all vs. -1.0 distinction breaks on upgrades to -2

On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 11:58:25PM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> > The Lintian laboratory on l.d.o can't find me any other packages' postinsts
> > referencing shared/default-x-server. And xserver-xfree86 was actually
> > a transitional package in etch already. So I have no idea why this whole
> > complication exists in there.
>
> Hysterical raisins.  It should be removed at some point; patches
> welcome, although not for lenny.

Well, it's severely impairing my upgrade *to* lenny, so I wager it's
an issue for lenny :)

Are there any external packages known to provide the symlink? ISTR some
external X server software, but I don't know if it has deb packages.

If not, is there any reason why this couldn't be a symlink shipped by
xserver-xorg-core, or an ln -s invocation in its postinst? IIRC we stopped
supporting 'jumping' upgrades (e.g. sarge->lenny) so we don't really care
if we break that old xserver-xfree86.

My point being - in that case, the patches are pretty simple.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.