Re: xserver-xorg-video-all vs. -1.0 distinction breaks on upgrades to -2

On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 10:43:34PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > As a workaround, I'd just purge xserver-xorg and be done with it.
> > But xserver-xorg-core depends on it for some reason. The reason seems
> > to be http://bugs.debian.org/392295 Surely this could have been fixed
> > by putting that part of code into the xserver-xorg-core package instead
> > of creating a dependency which is circular?
>
> Apparently this is discussed in http://bugs.debian.org/362313
> and there's also http://bugs.debian.org/396613
>
> I don't seem to see any reason for all that $SERVER_SYMLINK code. Why do we
> still have shared/default-x-server debconf stuff if xserver-xfree86 has been
> removed from lenny?
>
> And even so, wouldn't it be wiser to (also) handle that symlink in
> the xserver-xorg-core package which actually provides the
> /usr/bin/Xorg binary the link points to, rather than the meta package?

The Lintian laboratory on l.d.o can't find me any other packages' postinsts
referencing shared/default-x-server. And xserver-xfree86 was actually
a transitional package in etch already. So I have no idea why this whole
complication exists in there.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.