Upgrade from 7.2 to newest X in Lenny kills fps

I have recently upgraded my xorg and related packages from 7.2 to 7.3
and my glxgears fps has gone from ~1200 fps to ~60 fps.  I have
regenerated my xorg.conf using dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, and have
tried adding back the composite (which is what made the difference
under 7.2).  Composite works (xrender based at any rate; xcompmgr and
xfce built-in) but my reported frame rate is still 60 fps (using
not-a-benchmark glxgears).

My current xorg.conf and my old one are attached.

Any ideas?

--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore