xserver-xorg-input-dmc FIT-10 configuration/setup

Hello List.

I know, this is no support-list but it seems there is no other way to contact the developer or maintainer of xserver-xorg-input-dmc. I try to set up a touchscreen with FIT-10 chipset for nearly two months by now with no success, due to there's really _NO_ documentation about this driver. The man-page is nearly empty and says "THIS MAN PAGE NEEDS TO BE FILLED IN.", although the package with version-number " 1:1.1.1-3" is listed as stable. Extensive google-work also helped nothing - it seems noone set up a touchscreen with FIT-10 before. If you have better proposals to get information about it, please let me know. I will instantly stop bothering you. ;)

My configuration:

- Debian Testing (Lenny) with X-Server from Unstable (version 1:7.2-5, works fine)
- xserver-xorg-input-dmc from Unstable (version 1:1.1.1-3)

The FIT-10 works well in Windoze on "Com3". In Linux this should be
"serial8250: ttyS2 at I/O 0x3e8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A" according to the irq and i/o.

------------

Relevant parts of xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "DMC"
        Driver          "dmc"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/ttyS2"
EndSection

[...]

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "Default Screen"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
        InputDevice     "DMC"
EndSection

------------

Relevant output of Xserver-startup-log:

(II) LoadModule: "dmc"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//dmc_drv.so
(II) Module dmc: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
        ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 2.0

[...]

(**) DMC: always reports core events
(II) evaluating device (DMC)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "DMC" (type: TOUCHSCREEN)
(II) evaluating device (Configured Mouse)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
(II) evaluating device (Generic Keyboard)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Generic Keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)
(EE) DMC-Touch not found(no response)
couldn't enable device 2

------------

What I did:

- tried all four tty-devices
- extensively googled for a xorg.conf matching the problem
- looked everywhere for documentation (I even got the sourcecode hoping to find information)
- looked for developper-websites or mail-adresses of the author (even in the manpage, noone is mentioned. Seems that some ghost wrote that code...)

Whats the problem:

- no interaction with the touchscreen
- options of the driver are undocumented
- don't know where I should start debugging

Its a bit funny that such a very bad documented driver made it's way into all major distributions... I feel like I'm the only person on earth to try it the first time... It would be a pity, if I couldn't get it working 'cause i could get a lot of those 10" TFTs with that touchscreen-controller. And in fact I don't see any reason why it souldn't work.

I use Linux for four years by now. You could guess how hard it was for me to contact a developper-list with a support-related problem. But I don't see any other way to find information about it. If there's someone out there who can help me and I get it up and running, I will document all steps very well and make it public, so that the ideas of OpenSource and OpenMind are fulfilled again. :)

Greetings,

Felix Wiedemann