Re: xserver-xorg-video-via

On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 11:38:46AM -0500, David Nusinow wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 11:13:45AM +0100, Patrick Schoenfeld wrote:
> > Hi David,
> >
> > from the PTS I see that you are listed as on of the maintainers for
> >
> > 	xserver-xorg-video-via
> >
> > Additional you provided far the most uploads of this driver. But
> > currently there are some bug reports open, which could be solved quiet
> > easily by switching from the previous used unichrome source to the
> > source maintained by the openchrome fork. Appearently development of the
> > unichrome drivers (unichrome.sf.net) is dead, so what speaks against
> > using the drivers from openchrome.org which would probably solve all
> > open bugs (and addtional one I did not yet report :-)?
> >
> > Hope to hear from you soon,
> > thanks and best Regards,

Patrick, there are a few misconceptions here.

When the openchrome fork happened, it was deemed upstream that the only
acceptable solution was that openchrome maintained the upstream via
driver. I wanted -via to disappear there and then already, but this was
not deemed an acceptable solution.

Also, -unichrome is not dead. I am just overloaded with work on
-radeonhd.

Luc Verhaegen.
SUSE/Novell X Driver Developer.