Re: [gentoo-server] I search a Gentoo Linux "update system"

Forgot to copy the list originally:

sysspoof <sysspoof@ng-lab.org>:

> Hi Brian
>
> Your work sounds interesting to me.
> 2 questions so far:
> - - Is it also possible to "download" the portage tree and pre-compiled
> packages, perhaps with modified mirror url in make.conf? I use different
> networks for the servers, so sharing is not an option.

man make.conf, PORTAGE_BINHOST is what you want.  In the tar below there's
a script, emerge-binpkg, that makes downloading those packages a little
quicker than emerge -g, which tries to maintain a cache.

> - - You wrote other features are planned, will you work them out?

At some point, when I have time.  The database schema should show you what
I have planned.  Everything is just a name value pair for the post part.

> Unfortunately I have no perl experience and I haven't got time to
> contribute with perl. But I would appreciate to see your work. Why not make
> it public? If I am possible to use your scripts I'd like to give you report
> and constructive input based on practical experience.

Well, this is my second or third perl project as well.  Don't learn unless
you try, right?  I think all the relevant scripts should be in there.
Probably need to emerge/cpan some perl modules.

https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/bpkroth/web/update-summary-scripts/update-summary-scripts.tar.bz2

Anyone else out there do something similar?

Brian