Bug#441902: xserver-xorg-video-ati: 6.7.192-1~7.2 crashes xserver with xv video playback on compiz
- To: Alec Robertson <alecr@MIT.EDU>
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Bug#441902: xserver-xorg-video-ati: 6.7.192-1~7.2 crashes xserver with xv video playback on compiz
- From: Michel Dänzer <email@example.com>
- Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 16:24:08 +0200
- Message-id: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: Michel Dänzer <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: <20070917135029.GA23627@localdomain>
- References: <email@example.com> <46E6F9A8.firstname.lastname@example.org> <20070916163356.GA3109@localdomain> <email@example.com> <20070917135029.GA23627@localdomain>
On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 09:50 -0400, Alec Robertson wrote:
> Thanks for the info. A few more questions.
I'm following up to the bug report, please do so as well.
> >> * a recommendation I found somewhere (is this necessary?)
> >>>> Option "GARTSize" "64" # default is 8 Mb
> > The default may be too small for demanding 3D applications with the r300
> > Mesa driver.
> Is 64Gb an acceptable amount for a 128Mb ati card on a 1Gb memory
> system? Aside from compiz, I really don't use any 3D apps.
Then it should be plenty, the default may be fine even.
> >> * improve power consumption (I'm on a laptop, does this cause problems)
> >>>> Option "DynamicClocks" "on" # default is off (on=faster?)
> > It can cause problems on some hardware setups.
> Are there common symptoms to suggest that hardware problems may be
No, they tend to vary with the specific setup.
> One more option that I had included was:
> Option "EnablePageFlip" "on" # default is off
> * I use page flip because the man page says it improves performance, but
> for the old ati driver, I had to turn it off as it caused "tearing" of
> the compiz desktop after switching to/from a virtual console (or going
> to sleep.)
That wasn't tearing but just a page flipping related bug I fixed for
Earthling Michel Dänzer | http://tungstengraphics.com
Libre software enthusiast | Debian, X and DRI developer