Re: upload of xserver-xorg-video-ivtvdev.git

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 10:18:45PM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 10:57 +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 10:23:08 +0100, Peter Baumann wrote:
> >
> > > This should work. (But better try it out with a _copy_ of your repo. I
> > The way I did it (for xterm) was something like this:
> Thanks guys. I managed to get one of the upstream branches imported

And for completeness this is how I did import the synaptics driver
upstream git repository:

- created a new empty local repo:
  $ git-init-db

- pull from my previous local repository to the debian-unstable branch:
  $ git pull http://git/git/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics.git master:debian-unstable

- pull from upstream master branch to local upstream branch:
  $ git pull http://web.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/synaptics/.git master:upstream

- I now have 3 branches:
  $ git branch
    debian-unstable
  * master
    upstream
  where 'debian-unstable' is my previous repository (with just the
  debian/ dir), 'upstream' is the clean upstream repo and 'master' is a
  merge of both.
  Note: to avoid creating initial confusion execute the 2 pulls above
  without changing branch (eg: stay on the 'master' branch)

- now merge the upstream work into 'debian-unstable' (and this is
  actually automatic if you switch to the 'debian-unstable' branch after
  the first pull created it):
  $ git checkout debian-unstable
  $ git pull . upstream

- here you go, now delete the 'master' branch (optional) and push to
  alioth:
  $ git branch -D master
  $ cat > .git/remotes/alioth <<EOT
  Push: refs/heads/upstream
  Push: refs/heads/debian-unstable
  EOT
  $ git push alioth
  $ git push --tags alioth

- track upstream changes
  $ cat > .git/remotes/upstream <<EOT
  Pull: refs/heads/master:refs/heads/upstream
  EOT
  $ git pull upstream

Done (you'll obviously work on the debian-unstable branch)
Maybe there's something a little redundant but it works for me (TM).
Also you may want to just import the upstream work into your existing
repository (not a new empty one), in that case the following may work:
$ git checkout -b upstream whatever
$ git pull http://web.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/synaptics/.git +master:upstream

Note the '+' and look at git-pull(1) notes to the <refspec> format.

--
mattia
:wq!