Re: upload of xserver-xorg-video-ivtvdev.git

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 10:57 +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 10:23:08 +0100, Peter Baumann wrote:
>
> > This should work. (But better try it out with a _copy_ of your repo. I
> > don't know if this is the _correct_ way to do this. If someone knows a
> > quicker/better way, please tell me)
> >
> >   cd xserver-xorg-video-ivtvdev
> >   git checkout -b upstream		# create the upstream branch
> >   :> .git/refs/heads/upstream		# remove the sha1 from the
> >   					# upstream branch
> >
> >   git-ls-files -z|xargs -0 rm		# remove every tracked file
> >   # now remove everything which is left (objects, ignored files, etc.)
> >
> >   rm .git/index				# remove the index
> >
> >   tar -xvzf upstream.tar.gz		# unpack upstream into current directory
> >   git add .				# add everything
> >
> >   git commit
> >
> The way I did it (for xterm) was something like this:
> $ git-clone git://git.debian.org/git/pkg-xorg/app/xterm
> $ tar zxf xterm-223.tar.gz
> $ cp -a xterm/.git xterm-223/
> $ cd xterm-223
> $ echo refs/heads/upstream > .git/HEAD

For the benefit of the archives this should be
  $ echo "ref: refs/heads/upstream" > .git/HEAD

> $ rm .git/index
> $ git-add .
> $ git-commit
>
> This is from my memory, so I may have forgotten a step, but some use of
> git-status along the way might help you check this :)
> I guess that also doesn't qualify as a "correct" way to do it...

Thanks guys. I managed to get one of the upstream branches imported
using the above. The other upstream is an svn repo which I'd like to
launder through git-svn which is going to take a little more
experimentation...

Cheers,
Ian.

--
Ian Campbell

Fascinating is a word I use for the unexpected.
		-- Spock, "The Squire of Gothos", stardate 2124.5