Re: packages that need an epoch in Ubuntu

Hi Timo,

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 04:18:31PM +0200, Timo Aaltonen wrote:

> 	Hi!
>
>   The Ubuntu X SWAT team has now begun uploading X.org 7.2 to Feisty, and
> it came up that there are some packages which have for historical reasons
> needed an epoch compared to the Debian package. These are (from the ones
> that were updated for 7.2, there could be others):
>
> libice
> libsm
> libxaw
> libxext
> libxi
> libxmu
> libxv
> libxvmc
> x11proto-damage
>
> Is it possible to bump the epoch already in Debian versions, so that
> every time they are updated extra work isn't needed to get the new
> version in Ubuntu? I had a chat with Julien about this, and he suggested
> to mail the list.

That's fine by me, please send us patches to the list.

Does this mean that Ubuntu has an actual X maintainance team now? Who's on
this team aside from yourself? Also, would you please start sending us bug
reports for the patches you make to Xorg that you think are of use to
Debian? Dealing with the automated patch system is a pain, and I'd much
rather have some contact with real humans working on Ubuntu again.

Also, I don't know if you guys have plans to move to git like your kernel
team is doing, but if you do please let us know about it so we can monitor
your repositories more easily.

 - David Nusinow