Re: X11R7.2

On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 12:55:04AM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 01:30:14 +0200, Timo Aaltonen wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 10 Feb 2007, Julien Cristau wrote:
> > >I just looked at your diff.gz, and here are some comments:
> > >- the serverabiver file doesn't seem to be used anywhere (at least on a
> > > quick grep in the drivers I didn't find anything), do we need to keep
> > > it?
> >
> > I have no idea, really :)
> >
> Yeah, probably David or Daniel know more about this, since it dates back
> to the initial modular packaging.

This was supposed to be used to denote the abi of the drivers. Right now,
we just do this in the control file with the xserver-xorg-video-* Provides
and Depends. Ideally, I'd like to use the serverabiver file to automate
this, but I haven't thought about it for a while. I think we can probably
dump the file, but it's worth thinking about how to make this a reality so
we don't have to go through and manually update all the control files every
time we have a new server release.

> > >Patch 114 explicitely says it's a "terrible hack", so that one probably
> > >doesn't qualify :)
> >
> > heh, after googling a bit I found it:
> >
> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg-commit/2006-August/008627.html
> >

> > (it's funny how many hits you get with "XXX terrible hack" :)
> >
> heh, ok, then maybe we can cherry-pick it :)

It's fine if we add these patches, but it'd be nice to know what they do.
I'm looking to start pushing our own patch stack upstream really soon, so
I'm a little hesitant to add more work to the load with a set of patches
that we haven't looked at yet.

 - David Nusinow