Re: Debian XSF SVN to git migration

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 11:49:53PM +1100, Drew Parsons wrote:
> David wrote:
> > After discussing this with Michel on irc, it doesn't look like it'll be
> > possible to use git the way I had written down. I've revised the policy
> > based on what Michel and I discussed[0].
> >
> > It's much simplified, and basically behaves as you expect it to. If you
> > want to work on bleeding edge stuff from upstream, just pulling from the
> > debian* branch should give you the packaging. We believe it won't overwrite
> > local changes if you've cloned from, say, freedesktop.org because the
> > history should be intact.
> >
> > The one weird thing is that there's no master branch by default, nor is
> > there an upstream branch, both of which git-buildpackage expects by
> > default. It's trivial to locally create those branches depending on
> > what you're doing though.
> >
> > I'm going to wait a little while longer to see what everyone thinks. I want
> > to make sure everyone is back from holidays and had a chance to chew this
> > over before we make the move.
> >
> >  - David Nusinow
> >
> > [0] http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/git-usage
>

> Your ideas seem to make sense, though I haven't spent as much time
> thinking it all through as you Thierry, Michel and others have.
>
> With all the various branches coming from different directions all at
> once, it's tricky to keep the proposed policy all in one's head all at
> once. Would it be possible to commit one of the lesser, smaller modules
> to git, one of the protos, say?  With some hands on access I think it
> might be easier to evaluate whether it all holds together the way we
> want it to.  libdrm is already there, but it's not quite xorg.

Thierry already went ahead with this, and if you want anything else just go
for it. I think we've nailed down a good way to handle things for the most
part, and anything that's left can be easily repaired later once we sort
out the upstream naming stuff. It looks like we're pretty much ready to
make the move finally.

> Drew
>
> p.s. The first and third points in the tutorial at
> http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/git-usage, is one of them
> redundant?

Yeah, the tutorial needs updating. Once we get the upstream naming scheme
sorted out, I'll update it and actually make it nice. I'd like to have that
page be a lot more comprehensive than it is, and it needs some work.

 - David Nusinow