Re: git migration

* Thierry Reding wrote:
> * David Nusinow wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 07:24:23PM +0100, Thierry Reding wrote:
> > > I just found out why we're apparently loosing history when migrating. In fact
> > > the information is not actually lost, it just seems that git-svnimport
> > > overwrites the initial commits for some reason. So the history is still
> > > there, but git can't find the path to earlier commits.
> > >
> > > I haven't quite found out yet why that's so, but I'll take a closer look
> > > tomorrow. We may want to stick with SVN just a little longer to fix this.
> >
> > Ok, cool. I actually audited the libs, protocol headers, server, and
> > drivers yesterday and they look fine. The drivers don't actually toss the
> > information for some reason. The lost history for proto, libs, and xserver
> > isn't a big deal. It'd be nice to keep it if possible though. I'm going to
> > take a look at the remaining pieces tonight, and work on how to make the
> > apps and such work.
>
> Okay, it looks like I found and fixed the bug. I've pushed it all to the git
> repository[0].

Sometimes the git index still seems to be unlinked and history is lost. In
order to resolve that some of the import scripts (from the scripts
subdirectory) will need to be customized. I've written a small script
(check-history) that will grep the import logs for lines starting with
'Unlinking', which should only happen once before the very first commit. If
it happens more often it is very likely that history is lost.

Most of the time history loss is caused by a missing entry in the list of
trunk locations (TRUNK variable), which is easy to fix by looking at the log
file.

You may have to reimport the modules with the git-svnimport from a more
recent checkout because old versions don't output those 'Unlinking' lines.

If you customize the import scripts, make sure to remove it from the packages
list in the gen-* scripts, because your changes will be overwritten
otherwise.

[...]

Thierry