Re: Debian XSF SVN to git migration

On Sat, 2006-12-23 at 15:29 -0500, David Nusinow wrote:

> Ok, after talking to several people, I think we've settled on a good option
> that allows the flexibility we're all after. I've taken a first stab at
> documenting it on the wiki: http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/git-usage
>
> By separating the packaging and the upstream source, and then merging them
> to actually build the package, we gain pretty much all the flexibility we
> want at the cost of a small amount of complexity. It also makes it easy to
> just pull changes, which is really the model of development that git is set
> up for.

Right, I've always advocated one branch per tracked upstream branch and
per Debian upload target, so I definitely like that aspect. However, I'm
not sure having completely separate packaging branches with only the
packaging files is feasible. Have you figured out a way to fork several
branches from the initial empty repository, or otherwise to manage
branches with completely disjoint filesets?

Also, it doesn't make sense to me to special-case the branch for sid,
with a suggestion how to make it consistent with the other branches. I
think it should be the other way around; consistent by default, possibly
with a suggestion how to make it inconsistent if preferred.